Click to print this page

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Frequently Asked Questions


The UCM main campus in Warrensburg and the Lee’s Summit campus offices have returned to full operations as of June 8, 2020.

Our COVID-19 task force continues to meet regularly to ensure campus preparedness and responsiveness at a time when many unexpected challenges may emerge.

Health and Wellness

How do I receive an exemption from the face mask requirement?

Students seeking an exemption to the University's face covering/mask requirement due to disability reasons must contact the Office of Accessibility Services. Students will need to provide OAS documentation from their healthcare provider that indicates a medical or mental health condition that prevents wearing a face covering or a medical recommendation of exemption to the face covering requirement. Students may contact the Office of Accessibility Services at 660-543-4421 or

Faculty and staff who would like to request an exemption due to health or disability reasons should contact Human Resources at 660-543-4255 or

I'm experiencing anxiety about the coronavirus. What can I do?

  • Fighting against anxiety can make it worse. Instead, accept that it is normal to feel worried or anxious about things that are uncertain or threatening. One way to accept anxiety is to observe and describe it. For example, you might notice: “my heart is racing, and I keep thinking about 'what if' scenarios.” Normalizing and accepting the anxiety can have the paradoxical effect of reducing the anxiety; while trying to ignore or deny it can make the anxiety stronger.
  • Get the facts and then move on. Rather than spending extended time reading social media posts about the risks of COVID-19, review a fact sheet from the CDC or another trusted source. Limit the amount of time you spend daily focused on COVID-19 information. 
  • Human beings tend to overestimate risks related to unfamiliar and uncertain threats. Challenge your worrisome thoughts with facts and remind yourself to focus on what is actually happening.
  • Anxiety can lead us to forget that we possess strengths and coping skills. Remind yourself that even if you are impacted by this situation, you have skills to cope, and there are systems in place to help you. This includes focusing on what you can control (washing your hands, practicing self-care, knowing the facts) and letting go of what you cannot.
  • Don’t forget about the importance of self care. Be deliberate about getting enough rest, proper nutrition, intentional movement, and support from your friends and family. Self care can help us be resilient in the face of stress.
  • Visit the UCM Counseling Center page for a robust list of free supportive resources.

How long does isolation last?

Patients who test positive for COVID-19 may come off isolation:

  • 10 days after onset of symptoms AND
  • No fever for the past 3 days without using fever reducing medications AND
  • Improved respiratory symptoms for the past 3 days, they may still have some mild symptoms.
  • Patients with no symptoms may come off isolation 10 days after date tested.

Are there health resources for international students?

  • Students with the university-sponsored health insurance, United Health Care, can access a medical provider 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for free at
  • University Student Health Center will be open between 8 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m. Monday through Friday during the school year. We ask that students call for an appointment and not walk in for an appointment at this time. Call the clinic at 660-543-4770. The health center is providing some telephone care and actively working on setting up telehealth.
  • International students who need assistance with insurance questions are being referred to the Health Center and to the insurance provider based on their question.

Please contact the Office of Graduate and International Student Services for further assistance.

Based on my recent travel, I believe I need to be quarantined. What do I do?

  • Acting on Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidance, UCM asks that you remain at home and not return to campus if you meet any of these “stay-at-home” guidelines:
    • have a fever, cough, or difficulty breathing
    • have had close contact with an individual who has a known positive case of COVID-19
    • have traveled to an area where there are a high number of known cases of coronavirus. (See
  • If you meet any of the above criteria, call your medical provider immediately, and follow self quarantine instructions.
  • If you meet any of the above criteria, but you are unable to safely remain at home, contact the University Health Center at A member of the COVID-19 Medical Team will consult with you to make an individualized plan for monitoring your symptoms and for safe housing.
  • Follow CDC guidelines for quarantine and social distancing

Can I get hand sanitizer or masks from the Health Center?

The University Health Center typically keeps a small supply of hand sanitizer in stock at the dispensary for sale, however, this item has been backordered and is not currently available. Masks are not available for sale at the Health Center at this time. We are trying to order more personal protective equipment supplies.

Will a flu shot help protect me from COVID-19?

A flu shot will help protect you against the influenza virus. We advocate getting a flu shot every year and especially this year to help prevent the flu, which takes a toll on your immune system and decreases your ability to fight other illnesses such as COVID-19.

The University Health Center will be offering flu shots in October.

How do I keep myself healthy?

  • Clean and sanitize frequently touched surfaces
  • Wash your hands often
  • Use hand sanitizer often
  • Avoid touching your eyes/nose/mouth with unwashed hands
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick
  • Practice physical distancing
  • Distance yourself 6 feet away from others when in public
  • Wear a mask when out in public
  • Support your immune system:
    • get 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily
    • eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
    • drink plenty of water daily
    • get regular exercise
    • decrease stress.
  • More information is on the CDC’s prevention page.
  • For updates and information, follow:

Will students or employees be required to be tested before coming to campus?

No. UCM will not require anyone to be tested for COVID-19 before coming to campus. There will be testing available at the University Health Center for students who may need to be tested after seeing a medical professional.


What resources does the University Health Center offer?

The University Health Center is the first stop for students who are sick or injured, need well woman care, or need clinical prevention services such as immunizations or medications. It's staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, pharmacy and lab technicians, and friendly office personnel.

Wellness Support and Community Engagement is also housed in the University Health Center. Through a wide variety of support programs and services focused on education, engagement, and prevention, staff help students stay safe, healthy, and connected to community resources.

The University Health Center is located near the student union at, 600 S College Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093. You may contact the Health Center at 660-543-4770 or at

What steps are being taken to create a safe classroom space? Will there be any academic adjustments?

  • Classroom capacity continues to be evaluated, with seating and tables arranged for social distancing.
  • In laboratory classes, we are creating rotation schedules between classroom and laboratory times to allow for fewer students in the classroom at a time.
  • Course schedules have been and continue to be re-designed to account for CDC guidelines and generally accepted best practices. Students are encouraged to work within the attendance and seating guidelines set forth by their instructors. Where appropriate, in-person class offerings will be supplemented with use of technology and employ hybrid delivery models to reduce classroom-specific density.
  • Course offerings are being spread throughout the day to reduce density. We are placing as many previously designated in-person classes as possible in larger capacity classrooms and/or limiting class enrollment capacity to facilitate social distancing.
  • If your health permits, refrain from eating and drinking in class.
  • If arriving early for class, and when departing, avoid gathering in hallways. Instead, wait outside of buildings or in areas where social distancing is practicable.
  • Students also are advised to practice handwashing between classes, and remember to clean and store their cell phones when not in use.

If I do not feel safe to return to campus for in-person classes, are online options available? Who should I contact?

Please speak with your academic advisor regarding options for your specific program or classes.

How is the University accommodating students who are high risk, who have been instructed by a medical professional to stay home unless absolutely necessary?

Students may contact the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) for long-term accommodations. OAS can help facilitate appropriate accommodations based on the needs of the student. Documentation will be required. OAS may be contacted at 660-543-4421 or at

If I feel sick or experience COVID-19 symptoms, what should I do?

Please follow CDC guidelines. Stay home and contact your healthcare provider or the University Health Center. Your care provider will advise on the appropriate next steps.
If you are tested for COVID-19 and receive a positive result, please contact Student Experience & Engagement at 660-543-4114, where assistance can be provided for absences and other referrals/notifications as needed.

How should I notify my instructors about being absent due to illness, quarantine or self-isolation? What documentation do I have to provide?

It is imperative that you communicate with your instructor as quickly and early as possible to notify your professor of your absence. Individual student accommodations will be facilitated by Student Experience and Engagement (short-term absences) at 660-543-4114 and Office of Accessibility Services (ongoing accommodations) at 660-543-4421. Documentation may be requested - any necessary documentation will be requested by Student Experience and Engagement or the Office of Accessibility Services.

What if I need to withdraw from classes, drop a class or get an incomplete grade? What if I miss the drop deadline?

Are there resources for international students?

  • International students and those looking for resources or information for international students are asked to visit the following UCM webpage for information related to maintaining valid visa status during the recent COVID-19 changes: COVID-19 Resources for International Students.
  • F1 students should be in contact with their international student advisor (DSO) for guidance pertaining to their individual needs/questions:, 
  • Sponsored and exchange student organizations have been in contact with GISS and have provided guidance. This information has been disseminated to students, and GISS staff are working to accommodate student needs.
  • GISS is closely monitoring the location of our currently enrolled students and those on OPT outside of the local area.
  • International students who need assistance with insurance questions are being referred to the Health Center and to the insurance provider based on their question.
  • International students living on campus are in close contact with GISS and the Housing Office for guidance.
  • NAFSA: Coronavirus Critical Resources
  • For specific questions and individual circumstances, including future enrollment and visa statuses, please contact GISS at or at 660-543-4621.

I am an international student coming to UCM for the fall semester. Do I need to quarantine?

In accordance with federal requirements, all international students will be required to quarantine for 14 days if they are coming from a location outside the United States. Any international students who have been in the United States for more than 14 days will not be required to quarantine. International students will receive direct communication about this process.

How is the University addressing student concerns of feeling isolated?

The University will host activities and events in which students are encouraged to attend. The University encourages interactions outside of a residence hall room to engage in the college experience.

Does UCM offer health insurance?

UCM offers affordable health care insurance for students and their eligible dependents through UnitedHealthCare Student Resources. Visit the University Health Center page for more information, or to learn more about coverage and rates or to enroll in the insurance, login to MyCentral, select "Student" on the left side of the page, then "Health Services" and look for the "Health Insurance" section. Links in that section will redirect you to the UCM-specific UnitedHealthCare Student Resources plan. 
Note: You must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours currently or in the fall to enroll in the health insurance.

International students are required to have the student health insurance unless a waiver is approved. More details about requesting a waiver are available through MyCentral.

If you have more specific questions about the insurance plan, contact UnitedHealthCare Customer Service at 1-877-944-6767 or


University Employees

What Human Resources guidance do you have for employees regarding isolation and leave?

The Office of Human Resources suggests that employees follow CDC guidelines regarding isolation and self-care. If an employee needs to be quarantined or isolated, FMLA, leaves of absence, or reasonable accommodations may apply. Please contact Ranea Taylor for assistance with available options under COVID-19 at 660-543-4255.

What is the proper protocol for staff members who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 and, prior to learning this information, has been at work and interacting with others? Should that person contact HR and immediately self-quarantine?

If an employee is at work and finds that they were exposed, they should follow CDC Guidelines. They should contact their care provider, urgent care or the emergency room, and ensure that they are having their needs addressed as it pertains to their individual medical history. Their provider will recommend testing, and/or quarantine as appropriate. If they are advised to quarantine, they should immediately request documentation from their physician and contact HR for further assistance.

When an individual tests positive for COVID-19, the state and local health department will work together to ensure the individual who is positive gets the care they need and their contact with others is limited (i.e. isolation at home if well, hospitalized if sick), AND the health department will work with that individual to determine anyone with whom they have been in close contact. The health department will reach out to those contacts to inform them how to stay at home and monitor their symptoms. In other words, if a person is positive for COVID-19, local health officials will know about it and work to protect the person and the greater community.

Should an employee notify co-workers they've been in close contact with or should HR provide guidance to the co-workers?

An employee should not notify co-workers unless they are tested and receive a positive result. An employee should follow the advice of the County Health Department and their care providers.

How does HIPPA apply for this situation?

The University follows HIPPA guidelines as it relates to the records and distribution of information. For that reason, it is critical that the Office of Human Resources be the only office to collect medical documentation on employees. Those records, when obtained for federally regulated processes, such as FMLA, are maintained in a confidential manner and not shared with anyone outside of the HR team dealing with the issue at hand.

If this outbreak worsens in the fall, will the university close again?

The coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is an evolving situation that is continually being monitored by the university. As the safety and well-being of all university members and campus visitors is a priority, institutional leadership will make any adjustments that it believes are necessary to meet this goal. It is always good to be personally prepared for a quick changing environment, which may mean switching from in-person operations to remote operations without much advanced notice, if the University deems it necessary.

I am a UCM employee and I do not feel comfortable being at work. What do I do?

Please contact your direct supervisor regarding any of your concerns. Work assignments will be decided on a case-by-case basis with your supervisor and Human Resources.

What training or guidance is appropriate to assist supervisors in documenting, reporting and shift scheduling during high absenteeism?

Consult with your individual supervisor in your area. As always, the UCM policy library and Human Resources are available for assistance. Every situation is going to be unique.

Are there any tools / supplies / support systems offered to employees to assist with anxiety?

Information from BlueKC is available online, as well as the EAP. Helpful resources and UCM employee benefit and log-in information for BlueKC and EAP is accessible here, You may also access BlueKC directly for resources at

Please contact Human Resources at 660-543-4255 or in Administration 101 for assistance with employee support.

What is considered University-sponsored travel?

If an employee has a household or family member who is at high risk or immunocompromised, can that employee alter their work on campus or work from home?

Please contact your Human Resources Generalist to discuss options and individualized accommodations that may be available.


Do I need an accommodation from HR if I want to move all my courses online?

No, not in general. Teaching assignments, including course types, are a matter determined by the School Chair. If you would like to request a health or disability related leave or accommodation, you should contact HR and not your Chair.

Can I just decide to move all my classes online if that is my preference?

No. You should speak with your chairperson and base your decision whether to request to move your course(s) online based on the learning outcomes and course delivery needs of the class, content, and delivery options, and other pedagogical considerations in the best interests of the students, rather than what you prefer. Converting a class format has implications regarding accreditation guidelines, financial aid, Board of Governors’ policy on differentiated tuition, etc. Neither your School Chair nor the Dean will consider or ask you to provide documentation of a personal or medical need to move a course online. All decisions will be made consistent with the University’s intention to provide face to face classes in the fall, but with the recognition that many courses are capable of being effectively taught online where there is sufficient student interest in enrolling in online courses.

Will social distancing rules be followed in classrooms?

That is our intention. Wherever possible, yes, the physical space in our classrooms has been laid out to enable faculty and students to observe social distancing guidelines. If you have questions or concerns, speak directly to your School Chair. Note that in some cases, such as Dance courses for example, social distancing may not be possible.

Am I, as a faculty member, responsible for determining how many students can attend my in-person class meetings?

No, your School Chairs, in consultation with the Dean, have marked out and arranged classroom furniture to conform to social distancing guidelines. In most cases, the maximum number of seats in a classroom prepared for social distancing is about a third of its normal maximum occupancy.

What am I supposed to do if I have 35 students in my class, but social distancing guidelines suggest only a dozen seats should be occupied?

We have relocated numerous courses to larger spaces that can meet with all enrolled students in attendance. In many cases however, 100% concurrent attendance will not allow for social distancing, and therefore changes to course delivery methods and attendance expectations will have to be considered based on our goal to allow social distancing wherever practicable. Chairpersons have already contacted faculty who will need to alter course delivery to accommodate social distancing in their classrooms. See each College’s designated instructional resources and the Center for Teaching and Learning.

Should I reach out to my OP or School Chair to have my classes moved to larger rooms?

School Chairs have already made room assignment changes where possible and have contacted faculty who have face-to-face courses that cannot accommodate full concurrent attendance.

And are we to revise our course formats to accommodate the University’s efforts to encourage social distancing?

The role of technology in the delivery of our fall classes will increase in importance. We encourage you to expand your use of technology and hybrid content delivery models to supplement in-person class offerings, even if your classroom supports full concurrent attendance. Should a student report that they are sick or in quarantine, it will be important to provide virtual support. There are a number of different models for enhancing the delivery of course content through the use of technology (flipped classes, hyflex, synchronous, asynchronous), Your chairs can provide you suggested templates for communicating such course modifications to your students, if you wish to use them. These models increase our ability to socially distance our classrooms, maximize efficient use of class time, and improve learning outcomes. The Colleges and the Center for Teaching and Learning provide professional development opportunities and support for faculty who want to engage with these approaches.

Is it important that I take attendance in my face-to-face class meetings?

Not for COVID-related reasons. You may take attendance as you normally would, but please don’t give points or require attendance, as we want to encourage students to stay home if they are sick or have been exposed to someone who was diagnosed with COVID. Please do not ask your students for a doctor’s note in these cases.

What plans are there to sanitize classrooms, labs, offices, and other public areas?

FPO has implemented a detailed set of protocols for sanitizing areas during the summer return to campus of staff and administrative personnel. The university will supply cleaning materials for classrooms and face shields for all faculty, though you are not required to use them. The university will not supply masks.

What plans are being made for the spring semester?

We are investigating options to spread course offerings throughout the day to reduce density in our buildings. We will also examine room size and utilize larger classrooms as much as possible, as we are doing for the fall semester.

What guidelines are suggested for other events?

Events should be capacity controlled and encourage the practice of social distancing. Ticketed and invite only/RSVP events are recommended.

Where do we draw the line between F2F and online courses?

If a course moves entirely to asynchronous, Blackboard-driven and/or synchronously via Zoom delivery, then it is an online course.

What if an instructor holds class as normal, but only via Zoom, with no students physically in the room, or with the instructor not physically present?

This would count as an online course. In general, synchronous virtual delivery of lectures is not appropriate except in certain special cases as approved by the Chair (e.g., individual Music lessons where the student and instructor mutually establish its feasibility). Many students do not have sufficient bandwidth or home environments that enable a satisfactory educational experience in a synchronous session.

Am I allowed to require that students wear face masks in my class?

Yes. As required by UCM policy, a face coverings consistent with CDC guidelines that covers your nose and mouth must be worn in the classroom. Only students with a documented exemption provided by UCM’s Office of Accessibility Services are excused from this requirement. This policy should be included in your syllabi and applies to faculty and staff as well. Please note that employees seeking an exemption should contact Human Resources rather than the Office of Accessibility Services. Your chairperson can provide you with guidance regarding the recommended implementation of this policy.

Could I offer students clean and laundered cloth masks at the doorway to class, if they don't have a mask or forgot theirs?

No. If a student without an OAS exemption comes to class without a mask, please ask them not to attend that day. Please consult your chairperson for advice regarding the implementation of the recommended “Remind, Request, Refer” procedure.

What do I do about office hours?

UCM policy regarding minimum office hours remain in effect, but given the space limitations of most faculty offices, virtual office hours via Zoom, Google Meet, etc. will be appropriate in most cases. Even if you have sufficient office space for in-person office hours, please make every effort to accommodate student requests for virtual meetings.

Some other institutions are altering their fall schedules in a purported effort to reduce the risk that students will contract COVID during the Thanksgiving break and bring the virus back to campus. Is this option being considered at UCM?

The University is continually monitoring guidance and governmental directives and plans may change accordingly. Currently, there is no plan to change the August 17 start date for the fall 2020 semester or to alter the Thanksgiving break period.

Will I be notified if a student in one of my classes test positive for COVID-19?

Yes. Please see the COVID-19 FAQ page for more details.

If I have been asked to self-quarantine, how should I handle canceling classes?

If you are asymptomatic you would continue teaching virtually and contact your school chair to notify them of the situation. If you are symptomatic you should immediately contact your school chair for guidance.

What responsibility do I have to ensure my classroom/office is cleaned regularly?

  • Custodial staff will need our help, they can’t possibly keep up with all the increased cleaning required during an infectious disease outbreak. It would be a good idea to clean frequent touch surfaces every few hours or after every class. Frequent touch surfaces are desktops, arm rests, doorknobs, light switches, shared keyboards. Cleaning supplies will be provided by the university. Custodial staff will be responsible for drinking fountains, bannisters and bathrooms. Also, think of personal items like phones, computers and purses.
  • Western Missouri Medical Center is promoting a “Team Up To Clean Up” challenge to encourage everybody to take responsibility for keeping their workspace clean and prevent the spread of disease.
  • Please refrain from bringing in outside cleaning supplies and chemicals. Some university faculty, staff, and students may have chemical and scent allergies. So that we can ensure everyone has a safe work environment, UCM uses approved chemicals that have low volatile organic compounds and chemical interactions.


Housing and Dining

What is the move in process for fall?

First-year students who sign-up for UCM Kickoff will move-in Thursday, August 13, between 8 am - 4 pm. All other first-year students and upperclass students move into residence halls on Sunday, August 16, from 8 am – 4 pm.

As we are diligent in our response to COVID-19, all students will be required to sign up for a move-in time, to help create a safe environment. University Housing will further communicate with residence hall students through UCM email in mid-July for sign-up instructions, and information will be posted at

Students in University apartments will receive additional information regarding move-in, which will begin Friday, August 14th.

  • To reduce density and provide for physical distancing, there is a limit of two family members/friends to help the student move in.
  • Students will need to enter the building alone to pick up keys and paperwork.
  • Students should plan to complete the move-in process within two hours.
  • Once all possessions have been moved inside the room, guests and students should remain inside the room with the door closed until ready to depart.

If you have specific questions regarding move-in, please contact University Housing at 660-543-4515 or at

What is Housing doing to prepare for the upcoming school year?

  • Freshmen and sophomores who live within 65 miles of campus (previously 50 miles) can apply for an exemption from living in campus residence halls provided they will live with a parent or grandparent.
  • All residence hall rooms will be single occupancy only. Residents will have the option to request a specific suitemate, if mutually agreeable (suites are two rooms joined by a common bathroom). Although each room will be single occupancy, residents will be charged the lower double occupancy rate.

How is the University enforcing physical distancing, especially in the residence halls/rooms? Are students allowed to spend time in groups?

Students, faculty, staff and visitors are encouraged to engage in physical distancing practices recommended by the CDC. University staff will not “police” or prohibit private gatherings for distancing measures in residence halls. It is up to each one of us to take responsibility for our own health and well-being, including being mindful of the health and well-being of others. The University encourages all persons to follow recommendations by the CDC.

What are steps that will be taken in the dining centers to create a safe environment?

There are many steps the University and Sodexo will be taking to ensure a safe dining experience. These include:

  • Sodexo, our food services provider, has company-wide protocols for food preparation and service.
  • Dining areas will be set up to provide for social distancing.
  • Carry-out service will be available.
  • Self-serve options will be limited, if available.
  • Enhanced cleaning in dining facilities will be performed.

What if my roommate or suitemate gets sick?

Your roommate or suitemate should call the health center at 660-543-4770 and arrange to be evaluated. If it is determined that they are at high risk for COVID-19, arrangements will be made to evaluate and test the individual. If you and your roommate have been living together, you will be placed in quarantine and you will also need to be evaluated by the health center.

What directions should students be given about cleaning?

Disinfect touch points such as door knobs, light switches, desk tops, table tops, hard surface furniture, keyboards, phones, remote controls, faucets, toilet seats, etc. with common household disinfectants. Wash hands often.

What cleaning is Facilities, Planning and Operations doing and what do others need to do?

  • Facilities, Planning and Operations is sanitizing touch points of all public areas daily such as: doors, door knobs, handles, panic bars, glass doors, vending machines, light switches, electrical outlet covers, furniture, tables, chairs, elevator doors and buttons, elevator walls, floors, water fountains, kitchens, public bathrooms, laundry rooms, stairways, and handrails.
  • It would be beneficial if others would assist with monitoring public spaces, clean behind use in kitchens, laundry rooms and public spaces in between daily custodial service. 
  • It is the responsibility of the student to clean their residence hall room and bathroom.

Will the same housing standards apply to Greek Life housing, for occupancy and cleaning?

University administrators are working with Greek Life staff. All sorority chapters are housed on campus, where the same University Housing standards apply. For fraternity chapters on campus, the same standards apply as any other residence hall. The University does not exercise control over how off campus fraternity housing is set up or cleaned. Since there is limited authority over these housing units for set up and cleaning, it will be the responsibility of the house members to maintain a safe environment.

Athletics, University Events and Services

Are athletics or other events being held in the fall?

Athletics, and other events, including extracurricular activities may look different than previous events and may have adjustments in order to facilitate a safe event. Events may be capacity controlled and utilize invitation and reservation systems where appropriate. At this time, University events are scheduled as planned but may be adjusted as necessary. Athletic events will be scheduled according to MIAA and NCAA guidelines. Please visit for the most up to date athletic information. UCM will communicate about other events, such as Family Weekend and Homecoming, as adjustments are made.

Will services be available, such as movies, bowling, tutoring, etc?

Most UCM services will be available which includes, but is not limited to, movies, bowling, intramurals, computer labs, study rooms, tutoring services, childcare, Lee’s Summit bus service, etc. Services may implement different protocols in their respective area, differing from previous operations, based on the needs of the service.

Different protocols are designed to facilitate a healthy environment and the University wants to provide a student experience that is safe and meaningful.

Travel and Study Abroad

If I am a faculty or staff member, are there any restrictions on work-related travel?

All travel should be considered carefully. While travel may be limited due to funding, there is no ban on domestic travel as it may be essential in some positions to conduct university business. International travel is suspended for the fall semester. Under current guidance, anyone who engages in international travel on their own will be required to quarantine for 14 days after their arrival.

Who should I contact with questions about university employee travel?

Contact Becky Landkamer by telephone at (660) 543-4540 or 4797, or by e-mail at

For all grant funded travel, please contact your Program Administrator at the Office of Sponsored Programs & Research Integrity or directly call (660) 543-4264 or email

What can I do about travel-related expenses incurred for a conference or other event that has been cancelled?

You should cancel all reservations and request refunds for all expenses paid that will no longer be utilized. Contact conference/event organizers for registration and deposit refunds. Contact hotels for deposit refunds. Contact the airline for airfare credit or refund.

If I made my purchase on the university credit card and will not get a refund from the vendor, do I need to reimburse the university for the cost of the air travel or other travel expenses?

  • No, you will not need to reimburse the university for these expenses. An attempt should be made by the traveler to request refund, transfer tickets, or otherwise minimize financial impact. All remaining expenses should be submitted using standard travel processes. If you receive a future benefit (voucher, registration for next year), please provide Accounts Payable with all documentation as that benefit is subject to special accounting procedures.
  • If paid for by a grant, and you cannot receive a refund, or a credit for the travel is related to the project scope of work, contact your Program Administrator in the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research Integrity. They will work with you to make necessary revisions with the funder and move any unallowable expenditures from the project budget.

What should be done with a refund for cancelled travel plans?

  • If the expense was paid for by the university or reimbursed to you by the university, then the funds should be deposited back to the university to the FOAPAL where the expense was charged. If the money was deposited into your account or is in the form of a check with your name, you will need to write a check payable to “University of Central Missouri” and give it to your department budget manager for deposit to the university.
  • If paid for on a grant, the credit will be made to the charged grant FOAP. 

What are the university guidelines for documenting COVID-19 budget expenditures?

  • Org code 600240 – Emergency Operations, has been established to track expenses related to COVID-19 and any future EOC expenses.
  • All expenses related to COVID-19 must use this Org as part of their FOAPAL when coding requisitions in Jaggaer and on Payment Requests.
  • Requisitions and payment requests must include all documentation related to the expense and clearly indicate that it is related to COVID-19.
  • If your Org has been charged directly for a COVID-19 expense, prepare an IDT to move the expense to Org 600240, with all documentation to support the reclassification of the expense.
  • If you have non-refundable travel expenses for cancellations due to COVID-19, use an IDT to transfer those costs to Org 600240.
  • Please attach all cancellation documentation in ChromeRiver and with the IDT.
  • Document, Document, Document is the name of the game. More is better than not enough in reporting COVID-19 expenses.
  • For additional questions, contact Lisa Miller at 660-543-4406, or or

Are students allowed to study abroad in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021?

Fall 2020 Study Abroad:
Since the CDC maintains a global Level 3 advisory (Avoid non-essential travel) and the State Department maintains a global Level 4 advisory (Do not travel), UCM students are not approved to study abroad for the Fall 2020 Semester.

Spring 2020 Study Abroad:

UCM Study Abroad anticipates a return to normal travel at some point in the future, therefore Spring 2020 applications are being accepted at

  • Our office will continue to monitor travel advisories and work with each of our partners to determine when and if students will be able to travel and study abroad.
  • We will also be exploring virtual options for students who wish to gain international and intercultural experiences without the risk and uncertainty of travel.
  • We hope travel bans and restrictions will be eased in the future, and we will monitor the CDC and State Department travel advisories closely before approving students to study abroad.

You may also contact or view to set up an advising appointment to address your questions and discuss options.

I am a domestic student and I have recently traveled abroad. Are there any requirements when I return to UCM?

Per federal requirements, all students who have traveled internationally prior to the start of the academic year will be required to quarantine for 14 days before returning to fall classes on campus. Students who have been in the United States for more than 14 days prior to the start of classes will not be required to quarantine.

Students who are required to quarantine due to recent travel and will miss classes, are asked to contact Student Experience & Engagement as soon as possible at 660-543-4114.

Information regarding international travel and CDC requirements and recommendations can be found here, UCM is following all CDC requirements and recommendations to help keep our campus community safe.



If I feel I'm being treated unfairly, discriminated against or harassed based on my race or ethnicity, what should I do?

  • Students, staff and faculty contact HUMAN RESOURCES: UCM takes matters of discrimination and harassment very seriously. Any employees who have concerns about discrimination or harassment shoud immediately contact Ranea Taylor, Associate Vice President for Human Resources, at 660-543-4255, or email in accordance with university policy. Anyone who has student concerns should contact Student Experience and Engagement at 660-543-4114.
  • The UCM Green Dot page has helpful information as well.

What should I do if I observe or experience COVID-19-related stigma at UCM?

  • Please contact the Student Experience and Engagement Office at 660-543-4114 for assistance.
  • People can fight stigma and help, not hurt, others by providing social support. Counter stigma by learning and sharing facts. Communicating the facts that viruses do not target specific racial or ethnic groups and how COVID-19 actually spreads can help stop stigma
  • You may also find helpful information at the CDC webpage about reducing stigma.

Why might someone blame or avoid individuals or groups because of COVID-19?

People in our community may be worried or anxious about friends and relatives who are living in or visiting areas where COVID-19 is spreading. Some people are worried about contracting the disease themselves. Fear and anxiety can lead to social stigma, for example, towards someone who has been in quarantine. Stigma is associated with a lack of knowledge about how COVID-19 spreads, a need to blame someone, fears about disease and death, and gossip that spreads rumors and myths. 

Lack of information can lead to enhanced fears and anxiety. Please visit the CDC website to view accurate and up-to-date information along with helpful information regarding stigma.

Other General Questions

What are the plans for the Fall 2020 semester? When do classes start?

We plan to conduct in-person classes this fall and remain on the semester schedule. The first day of classes is August 17th.

What are steps the University is taking to help create a safe and healthy environment?

  • The wearing of face coverings will be required in classrooms; inside buildings open to the public and in common areas of all buildings on campus; at group events, gatherings and meetings; and in all areas of campus, including outdoors, where physical distancing is not possible. The required use of face coverings applies to students, faculty, staff, vendors and visitors.
  • We are setting up facilities to foster social distancing.
  • Events will be capacity controlled and utilize invitation and reservation systems where appropriate.
  • In partnership with health care providers and the UCM Health Center, we are increasing our ability for testing and contact tracing.
  • We continue to use enhanced cleaning across campus and with special cleaning protocols in high-use buildings.
  • Please follow all signs on campus that provide important safety guidance and reminders.
  • Students, faculty, staff and visitors should engage in physical distancing practices as recommended by the CDC. You can learn more by clicking on the following link: It is up to each one of us to take responsibility for our own health and well-being, including being mindful of the health and well-being of others.
  • Students, faculty and staff should regularly self-monitor for symptoms consistent with COVID-19 and follow CDC guidance on self-isolation and testing if symptomatic. (See for more information from the CDC.) Students should contact the University Health Center at 660-543-4770 or if they believe they are symptomatic, have been notified of exposure through contact tracing, or otherwise have reason to believe they may by infected. Students and employees should stay home if they are sick; students will not be penalized for missing class due to illness.
  • Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to check their UCM email for important updates related to COVID-19. You can also learn more by checking out UCM’s coronavirus website

Are in-person meetings allowed to be held?

In-person meetings are allowed to be held, while practicing social distancing as recommended by the CDC. Meetings may also be conducted through an online format. You may schedule phone appointments, virtual conferences, or host virtual meetings in multiple ways. Video conferencing tools such as Zoom or Google Meet are good tools to use.

Will masks, or other PPE, be required at UCM? Can a supervisor or professor require masks to be worn?

The wearing of face coverings, consistent with Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines (, will be required in classrooms; inside buildings open to the public and in common areas of all buildings on campus; at group events, gatherings and meetings; and in all areas of campus, including outdoors, where physical distancing is not possible. This face covering requirement will be implemented and in effect regardless of when and if current Jackson County and Johnson County face covering requirements are lifted and until further notice is given to do otherwise.

The required use of face coverings applies to students, faculty, staff, vendors and visitors. Face coverings are not required in enclosed and isolated areas assigned to an individual such as individual office spaces and single occupancy residence hall rooms, for individuals five years of age or younger, or when an individual is eating or drinking.

Individuals who have certain health issues may be exempt from this requirement. Faculty and staff who would like to request an exemption should contact Human Resources. Students requesting an exemption should contact the Office of Accessibility Services.

The Office of the Provost and the respective college’s Office of the Dean will work with academic programs to coordinate training for faculty regarding this requirement and classroom procedures.

Individuals should provide their own face coverings.

What happens if someone is diagnosed with COVID19?

  • Persons diagnosed with COVID-19 will already be under the care of a medical provider who tested them. If they are stable and do not need hospitalization they will be placed in isolation. Isolation entails having a separate bedroom and ideally a separate bathroom from others in the household, being restricted to their room and wearing a mask when someone comes to their door. They will be monitored by health care providers. Persons exhibiting distress will be hospitalized.
  • Every positive test for COVID-19 is reported to county health and county health officials ensure the patient is isolated and investigates all contacts. Contacts are notified by county health and asked to self-quarantine.
  • Testing for students is available at the University Health Center. Most insurance companies will pay for testing if the patient has COVID-19 symptoms. If you do not have health insurance and want to learn more about UCM's student health insurance plan, information is available through MyCentral on the Student page under Health Services.
  • Johnson County Community Health Services will facilitate contact tracing for individuals who test positive. The University will assist as appropriate and consistent with applicable laws and available resources.
  • In partnership with health care providers and the University Health Center, we are increasing our ability for testing and contact tracing.
  • Contact your health care provider to determine whether you need to be tested for COVID-19, or students may use this screening form on the University Health Center website.
  • Specific questions regarding testing and contact tracing may be directed to Johnson County Community Health Services. Students who have questions about testing may also contact the University Health Center at 660-543-4770 or

Ask a Question


The University will continue to communicate updates through the UCM News Bureau, as well as our website, social media, your UCM email account, and traditional media.

If you have specific questions, please contact one of the offices below:

For all other offices, please visit to locate the office that matches your needs.


  • facebook
  • twitter
  • youtube
  • linkedin
  • instagram